This fresh summer salad hits all the right notes; sweet strawberries, salty almonds, aromatic rosemary, and pungent cheese, all balanced by a lemony vinaigrette with a touch of honey to highlight the sweet fruit.
Green Salad with Strawberries & Marcona Almonds
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 small head butter lettuce or mixed greens
- 1 cup strawberries halved if small, quartered if large
- 1/3 cup toasted Marcona Almonds
- 1/3 cup hard aged cheese such as Pecorino or an aged Gouda or Manchego, shredded on the large holes of a box grater or shaved with a vegetble peeler
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 small clove garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 sprig rosemary leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil this varies depending on how much juice you get from your lemon, and how acidic you like your salad dressings
Place all salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
For the dressing, grate the garlic and place in a small bowl with the lemon juice. Let it sit for a few minutes.
Add the remaining dressing ingredients and mix well, then taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
Toss dressing with salad just before serving.
- Feel free to make substitutions - the greens could be spinach or arugula (but don't use kale which will be too tough for the fruit). Swap blackberries or figs for the strawberries, or try toasted pistachios instead of the almonds. The possibilities are endless.
Try with a bottle of Scaia, a medium-bodied, crisp white from the Veneto region in Italy.